Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Road to the Oscars: My Picks


Right on time for the Academy Awards. With 3 more weeks to go for the Oscars, I thought I could share my experience of watching the nominated movies.

Anyways, 127 Hours, True Grit and Black Swan are superior contenders for the best picture award. Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) for me is the winner for best director, though I'd have voted for Christopher Nolan for Inception (had he been nominated). Best actor and actress awards can be given blindfolded to Colin Firth (The King's Speech) and Natalie Portman (Black Swan). So will Christian Bale, his first Oscar (supporting actor, The Fighter). Nolan deserves his first Oscar for Screenplay (Inception). Best Anime, Toy Story 3. Alice in Wonderland was mind blowing in Costume and Art Direction. So Oscars in those fields for that.

Its really difficult to pick the best in the music department, Rahman, Powell, Zimmer have all taken Music to different league in 127 Hours, How to Train Your Dragon, Inception, respectively. But best song for me has one clear winner, 127 Hours: Rahman, Armstrong and Dido for that amazing "If I Rise". The song has inspired me so much. Inception should get the Oscar for visual effects, but Harry Potter can give serious competition. 127 Hours, The Social Network and Black Swan were all scissored well. So best editing can go to any of these three.

I could see only these fields through my eyes. Still few more areas left, about which I don't know anything. So I have not talked about them. The Social Network swept off other awards, but it will be interesting to see whether it can get the same recognition at the Oscars.

Hope my picks prove right..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment